Marvel at the feat of engineering which created a superb link between two great oceans that is known as the most scenic shortcut in the world. Pass through three sets of locks along this 51 mile long canal, on a nine hour journey through Costa Rica. Admire the clean glistening beaches, the sheer cliff drops and the sights and sounds of the colorful birds and animals in the lush tropical rainforests of Costa Rica.
Find Panama Canal Cruises at 24x7Cruise.com
Favorite sights & excursions on your Panama Canal cruise
- Colon lies next to the entrance of the Panama Canal and is surrounded by historical sights - see the massive Gatun Locks and check out the site of the Panama Railroad and the Portobela National Park.
- In Costa Rica’s Limon you can take an exhilarating aerial tram ride through the leafy rainforest canopy or a jungle boat trip for wildlife encounters.
- Step into the 16th century walled Old City of Cartagena. This colonial-era gem enchants with cobblestone streets, elegant plazas, colorful architecture and a history that features real-life pirates of the Caribbean. Circle the city in a romantic horse-drawn carriage.
- 4. In Cartagena, explore the artisan center of Las Bovedas located in the historical vaults of the city, Plaza Bolivar, the Palace of Inquisition and the Church of San Pedro Claver, and shop for Colombian emeralds. Check out the Museo de Oro y Arqueloguía and its fine collection of gold and pottery.
- In Puntarenas drive through the rain forest and see aged trees, macaws and monkeys in their natural habitat, go river rafting or enjoy the magnificent views of the cascading waterfalls from Pura Vida. After that, shop for the best Costa Rican coffee products to take home.
- Or go on a boat trip on the Tarcoles River to explore the spectacular natural scenery besides the many types of bird such as toucans, spoonbills, herons, egrets, jacanas, pelicans, scarlet macaws, & wildlife like iguanas and crocodiles. Upon your return enjoy some live marimba melodies and a delicious buffet of seasonal fruits and tropical refreshments.
- From Puntarenas you could take a scenic drive to Palmares County to visit Costa Rica’s most fascinating churches & Doka Estate- a coffee plantation, located at an altitude of 4,500 feet above sea level, which was declared a historical and architectural heritage site by the Costa Rican Government. Then savor a typical buffet meal at La Cajuela restaurant surrounded by beautiful gardens with mountain views. Your last stop will be La Garita, a magnificent botanical garden featuring a learning greenhouse, flower showroom and an area with birds such as scarlet macaws, blue and gold macaws and cockatoos.
- Visit the Tortuga Rum Company in Aruba and taste its delicious rum cakes!
- On a 14-passenger Zodiac raft excursion on the Sea of Cortés you could be lucky enough to get a close-up view of migrating whales!
Best time to cruise
These cruises are seasonal and operate in February, March, April & November